An interesting breakfast , poha is among the most healthiest breakfast in the Indian cuisine with 270 calories. It has less gluten, prevents iron deficiency and is good for diabetics.
We Indians love our poha (flattened rice). It can be prepared very easily and is highly nutritious as a lot of veggies, sprouts and soya can be added to it. In different states of India, poha is made in different ways.
Carbohydrates are the major source of energy in a bowl of poha. This makes it a perfect breakfast option. Carbohydrates are needed to help our body store energy, and perform various other functions.
- Flattened rice 200 gms
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 2 tsp
- Curry leaves 4-5 nos.
- Peanuts 6-7 nos.
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt As per taste
- Potato 1 no.
- Green chilly 2 nos.
- Lemon 1 no.
- Sugar 1 tsp (optional)
- Water to soak flattened rice
- Coriander few sprigs for garnishing
- Soak poha for 10-15 mins.
- Cut green chillies and potato.
- In a deep pan, take oil, add mustard seeds, green chillies, peanuts, curry leaves.
- Add cut potatoes and cover for 5 mins.
- Add poha, turmeric, and salt. Squeeze a lemon. Add sugar.
- Cook for 2 more mins.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.